June is the perfect month to enjoy everything fresh fruits and vegetables have to offer! The growing season is in full swing and fresh produce is at its peak with delicious flavor and healthy nutrients.
Fruits and veggies provide tons of nutrients our bodies need such as fiber, folate, potassium, magnesium, and vitamins A and C. Below are fruits and veggies that are high in these great vitamins and minerals.
- Fiber: blueberries, apples, pears, raspberries, avocados, carrots, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, split peas, chickpeas, and kidney beans
- Calcium: oranges, kiwifruit, blackberries, spinach, kale, peas in the pod, butternut and acorn squash, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts
- Potassium: bananas, oranges, grapefruit, cantaloupe, honeydew, potatoes, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, peas, cucumbers, and zucchini
- Magnesium: bananas, raspberries, leafy greens, and avocados
- Vitamin A: cantaloupe, apricots, carrots, sweet potatoes, winter squash, spinach, and kale
- Vitamin C: citrus fruits, strawberries, bell peppers, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and dark leafy greens
Try this recipe to get many beneficial nutrients in one delicious dish!
Perfect Summer Fruit Salad
Ingredients: (Makes 6 servings)
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 fresh pineapple, cubed
1 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
1 1/2 – 2 bananas, sliced
1 orange, peeled and sectioned
1/2 cup seedless grapes
1/4 cup blueberries
- Bring orange juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, and orange zest to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Set aside to cool.
- Layer the fruit in a bowl. Pineapple, strawberries, kiwifruit, bananas, oranges, grapes, and blueberries. Pour the cooled sauce over the fruit. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours before serving.